Re: [RFC 03/20] vfio: Add vfio_[un]register_device()

From: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue Sep 28 2021 - 23:28:19 EST

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 10:00:14PM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 12:54:02AM +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:

I thought part of the appeal of the device centric model was less
grovelling around in sysfs for information. Using type/address
directly in /dev seems simpler than having to dig around matching
things here.

Note that this doesn't have to be done in kernel: you could have the
kernel just call them /dev/vfio/devices/vfio0, ... but add udev rules
that create symlinks from say /dev/vfio/pci/DDDD:BB:SS.F - >
../devices/vfioXX based on the sysfs information.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson