Re: glibc VETO for kernel version SUBLEVEL >= 255

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Sun Sep 26 2021 - 07:39:40 EST

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 11:31:20AM +0000, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> On Sunday, September 26th, 2021 at 14:24, Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Why use an older kernel tree on this device? Rasbian seems to be on
> > 4.19.y at the least right now, is there something in those older kernel
> > trees that you need?
>
> Due to circumstances, I need "smallest possible" kernel with all extra
> stripped out. 4.9.y kernels are smaller than newer ones.

Smaller by how much, and what portion grew? Are we building things into
the kernel that previously was able to be compiled out? Or is there
something new added after 4.9 that adds a huge memory increase?

Figuring that out would be good as you only have 1 more year for 4.9.y
to be alive, that's not going to last for forever...

thanks,

greg k-h