Re: [RFC] Expose request_module via syscall

From: Christian Brauner
Date: Fri Sep 24 2021 - 09:21:24 EST

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 01:06:49PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2021, at 8:52 AM, Christian Brauner wrote:

> >> Specific problems here include aliases and dependencies. My modules.alias file, for example, has:
> >>
> >> alias net-pf-16-proto-16-family-wireguard wireguard
> >>
> >> If I do modprobe net-pf-16-proto-16-family-wireguard, modprobe parses some files in /lib/modules/`uname -r` and issues init_module() asking for 'wireguard'. So hooking init_module() is at the wrong layer -- for that to work, the container's /sbin/modprobe needs to already have figured out that the desired module is wireguard and have a .ko for it.
> >
> > You can't use the container's .ko module. For this you would need to
> > trust the image that the container wants you to load. The container
> > manager should always load a host module.
> >

> Agreed.

> >> My idea is standardizing *something*. I think it would be nice if, for example, distros could ship a /sbin/modprobe that would do the right thing inside any compliant container runtime as well as when running outside a container.
> >>
> >> I suppose container managers could also bind-mount over /sbin/modprobe, but that's more intrusive.
> >
> > I don't see this is a big issue because that is fairly trivial.
> > I think we never want to trust the container's modules.
> > What probably should be happening is that the manager exposes a list of
> > modules the container can request in some form. We have precedence for
> > doing something like this.
> > So now modprobe and similar tools can be made aware that if they are in
> > a container they should request that module from the container manager
> > be it via a socket request or something else.
> > Nesting will be a bit funny but can probably be made to work by just
> > bind-mounting the outermost socket into the container or relaying the
> > request.
>
> Why bother with a list? I think it should be sufficient for the container to ask for a module and either get it or not get it.

I just meant that the programs in the container can see the modules
available on the host. Simplest thing could be bind-mounting in the
host's module folder with suitable protection (locked read-only mount).
But yeah, it can likely be as simple as allowing it to ask for a module
and not bother telling it about what is available.