RE: [RFC net-next 1/7] ptp: Add interface for acquiring DPLL state

From: Machnikowski, Maciej
Date: Tue Aug 31 2021 - 05:29:35 EST

This structure is for monitoring the lock state - or in other words - quality
of incoming sync signal.

The Locked state here means that the frequency used for transmitting the
data is syntonized with the input one. If something goes wrong, like the
frequency you recover from the link goes beyond the specified range or
the external signal is lost, the QL level will change accordingly.

The application layer running on top of this API needs to get the proper
QL level from the config file (just like the clockClass in PTP) and broadcast
it when the state is locked and switch to QL-DNU when you get out of
the lock state and expire preset hw-dependent holdover clock.

Also, if you are syntonizing to the SyncE clock you need to wait with
passing along QL-levels until the state reported by the EEC changes
to LOCKED.

Regards
Maciek