Re: Why is Shmem included in Cached in /proc/meminfo?

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Mon Aug 30 2021 - 12:18:27 EST

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 06:05:58PM +0200, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 8/30/21 16:41, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 07:34:38AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> >> [add linux-mm mailing list]

> > That's a reasonable position to take.
> >
> > Another point of view is that everything in tmpfs is part of the page
> > cache and can be written out to swap, so keeping it as part of Cached
> > is not misleading.
>
> Yeah, but with that view, anonymous memory can be also written out to swap. But
> it's non-intuitive that something called "Cached" will contain something that
> (if not dirty) can't be just dropped.

That's equally true for normal filesystems & shmem though. Consider shmem
written to swap, then brought back in by a read. Now it can be dropped
without being swapped out. Or even a file on shmem ftruncated to a
large size, then only read. The pages will be clean and full of zeroes.
They can be dropped under memory pressure without being written out.

> I've had to point this Shmem oddity out a
> number of times to someone, so I would say that it would be much better if it
> was not part of Cached.
> However, if we change it now, we might create even larger confusion. People
> looking at the output for the first time (and IIRC also the 'free' command uses
> it) on a new kernel wouldn't be misled anymore. But people working with both old
> and new kernels will now have to take in account that it changed at some
> point... not good.

Another good point.