[patch] clone.2: Add EACCES with CLONE_INTO_CGROUP + clone3 to ERRORS

From: Andrew Wock
Date: Sun Aug 29 2021 - 15:57:21 EST

Resending because it's my first time mailing the lkml and I used html.
Reattempting w/ gmail's plaintext mode. I apologise if this is
reaching you twice.

I noticed that clone3 can send the EACCES errno after I wrote a
program that used clone3 with the CLONE_INTO_CGROUP flag. To me, it's
important to know what kind of failure occurred if the clone3 fails,
so I was glad that a unique errno is set for this case, but it wasn't
documented on the clone man page.

I've attached a patch and a test program.

Test program is attached as clone3_doc.c. Create
/sys/fs/cgroup/not-allowed as root, then run the program. It should
set errno to EACCES.

Thanks,
Andrew Wock
#include <stdio.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

#include <linux/sched.h> /* Definition of struct clone_args */
#include <sched.h> /* Definition of CLONE_* constants */
#include <sys/syscall.h> /* Definition of SYS_* constants */
#include <unistd.h>

/*
* Preconditions:
* - /sys/fs/cgroup/not-allowed is a real cgroup.
* - You are not root and do not have write permissions to
* /sys/fs/cgroup/not-allowed/cgroup.procs
*/
int main() {
pid_t pid;
int fd;
struct clone_args cl_args = {0};
char *cgPath = "/sys/fs/cgroup/not-allowed";

fd = open(cgPath, O_RDONLY);
if (fd == -1) {
fprintf(stderr, "Could not open cgroup %s: %s\n", cgPath, strerror(errno));
exit(1);
}

cl_args.exit_signal = SIGCHLD;
cl_args.flags = CLONE_INTO_CGROUP;
cl_args.cgroup = fd;
pid = syscall(SYS_clone3, &cl_args, sizeof(cl_args));
if (pid == -1) {
if (errno == EACCES) {
printf("EACCES detected\n");
exit(0);
}
fprintf(stderr, "Could not clone into cgroup: %s\n", strerror(errno));
} else if (pid == 0) {
fprintf(stderr, "Are you root, or do you have write access to %s?\n", cgPath);
}
exit(1);
}