Re: [GIT PULL] Memory folios for v5.15

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 24 2021 - 15:48:39 EST

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 12:38 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "pageset" is such a great name that we already use it, so I guess that
> doesn't work.

Actually, maybe I can backtrack on that a bit.

Maybe 'pageset' would work as a name. It's not used as a type right
now, but the usage where we do have those comments around 'struct
per_cpu_pages' are actually not that different from the folio kind of
thing. It has a list of "pages" that have a fixed order.

So that existing 'pageset' user might actually fit in conceptually.
The 'pageset' is only really used in comments and as part of a field
name, and the use does seem to be kind of consistent with the Willy's
use of a "aligned allocation-group of pages".

Linus