Re: [GIT PULL] Memory folios for v5.15

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Tue Aug 24 2021 - 09:07:15 EST

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 03:06:08PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Yeah, honestly, I would have preferred to see this done the exact
> reverse way: make the rule be that "struct page" is always a head
> page, and anything that isn't a head page would be called something
> else.
>
> Because, as you say, head pages are the norm. And "folio" may be a
> clever term, but it's not very natural. Certainly not at all as
> intuitive or common as "page" as a name in the industry.

Actually, I think this is an advantage for folios. Maybe not for the
core MM which has always been _fairly_ careful to deal with compound
pages properly. But for filesystem people, device drivers, etc, when
people see a struct page, they think it's PAGE_SIZE bytes in size.
And they're usually right, which is what makes things like THP so prone
to "Oops, we missed a spot" bugs. By contrast, if you see something
which takes a struct folio and then works on PAGE_SIZE bytes, that's a
sign there's something funny going on. There are a few of those still;
for example kmap() can only map PAGE_SIZE bytes at a time.