Re: [syzbot] WARNING in hid_submit_ctrl/usb_submit_urb

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Tue Aug 24 2021 - 07:54:02 EST

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021, Alan Stern wrote:

> > syzbot has tested the proposed patch and the reproducer did not trigger any issue:
>
> That's good to know. Still, I suspect there's a better way of handling
> this condition.
>
> In particular, does it make sense to accept descriptors for input or
> feature reports with length zero? I can't imagine what good such
> reports would do.

I quickly went through drivers + some hidraw users, and can't spot any use
case for it.

> On the other hand, I'm not familiar enough with the code to know the
> right way to reject these descriptors and reports. It looks like the
> HID subsystem was not designed with this sort of check in mind.
>
> Benjamin and Jiri, what do you think? Is it okay to allow descriptors
> for zero-length reports and just pretend they have length 1 (as the
> patch tested by syzbot did), or should we instead reject them during
> probing?

I think it's a good band-aid for 5.14 (or 5.14-stable if we don't make
it), and if it turns out to break something (which I don't expect), than
we can look into rejecting already during probe.

Benjamin, is there a way to run this quickly through your HID regression
testing machinery?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina