Re: linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree with the net-next tree

From: Phillip Potter
Date: Tue Aug 03 2021 - 04:58:06 EST

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 00:33, Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the staging tree got conflicts in:
>
> drivers/staging/r8188eu/include/rtw_android.h
> drivers/staging/r8188eu/os_dep/rtw_android.c
>
> between commit:
>
> 89939e890605 ("staging: rtlwifi: use siocdevprivate")
>
> from the net-next tree and commit:
>
> 2b42bd58b321 ("staging: r8188eu: introduce new os_dep dir for RTL8188eu driver")
>
> from the staging tree.
>
> I fixed it up using the net-next version and can carry the fix as
> necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any
> non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
> when your tree is submitted for merging. You may also want to consider
> cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
> particularly complex conflicts.

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your e-mail - not sure what is going on here as the
r8188eu files are totally new - the net-next commit is touching files
from a different directory (rtl8188eu) so perhaps it is getting
confused and considering it a rename or similar? Regardless, all
commits for r8188eu subdirectory should come from staging, as it is a
different driver.

Regards,
Phil