Re: Coverity Scan model file, license, public access

From: Kees Cook
Date: Thu Jul 15 2021 - 14:25:58 EST

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 03:12:04PM +0200, Norbert Manthey wrote:
> On 7/6/21 6:54 PM, Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 09:45:47AM +0200, Norbert Manthey wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> I would like to work with code analysis on the Linux kernel. The
> >> currently used Coverity setup already uses a model file [1] to improve
> >> the precision of the analysis. To the best of my knowledge, this model
> >> file is currently not publicly accessible. I did not find a license
> >> attached to [1], nor any information about licensing.
> >
> > I have no idea who wrote that thing, sorry.
>
> Is there anybody else who knows more about the history of the used
> Coverity model? Thanks.

As far as I know, the model was written originally by Dave Jones, with
further changes from myself and, I think, Colin Ian King.

I thought it was visible through the Coverity dashboard, once you're
logged in:
https://scan.coverity.com/projects/linux-next-weekly-scan?tab=analysis_settings
(See 'Modeling file loaded [View]')

Regardless, I keep a copy in git since I'd been tweaking it (mostly to
no meaningful benefit: the model file doesn't work with macros, which is
where the bulk of the false positives in Coverity come from):
https://github.com/kees/coverity-linux

--
Kees Cook