Re: docs: Convert the Speakup guide to rst

From: Gregory Nowak
Date: Mon May 31 2021 - 19:22:19 EST

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 12:07:54AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Mmm, I'm unsure how the result is readable with the speakup screen
> reader itself. I have attached the result, could people on the speakup
> mailing list check how well it goes? If it significantly degrades
> readability, we'll have to reject the move to rst formatting, since in
> the end it's people who use the speakup screen reader who need to be
> able to read this document.

It sounds OK to me with punctuation level set to 1, and using software
synthesis through espeakup. The formatting could be a problem if
someone is using a higher punctuation level, or a braille
display. Could a txtdocs option be implemented as a documentation
target for kernel builds, which would produce plain text files? That I
think would provide the best of both worlds where the guide could be
maintained as RST, but could be output in plain text like the format
the guide exists in now.

Another concern is that if the speakup guide is maintained in RST,
that could dissuade others from keeping it updated who don't already
know RST.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net