Re: [RFC net-next 0/2] Introduce MDIO probe order C45 over C22

From: Andrew Lunn
Date: Tue May 25 2021 - 09:34:41 EST

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 01:58:03PM +0800, Wong Vee Khee wrote:
> Synopsys MAC controller is capable of pairing with external PHY devices
> that accessible via Clause-22 and Clause-45.
>
> There is a problem when it is paired with Marvell 88E2110 which returns
> PHY ID of 0 using get_phy_c22_id(). We can add this check in that
> function, but this will break swphy, as swphy_reg_reg() return 0. [1]

Is it possible to identify it is a Marvell PHY? Do any of the other
C22 registers return anything unique? I'm wondering if adding
.match_phy_device to genphy would work to identify it is a Marvell PHY
and not bind to it. Or we can turn it around, make the
.match_phy_device specifically look for the fixed-link device by
putting a magic number in one of the vendor registers.

Andrew