Re: netfilter: iptables-restore: setsockopt(3, SOL_IP, IPT_SO_SET_REPLACE, "security...", ...) return -EAGAIN

From: Phil Sutter
Date: Thu May 13 2021 - 13:08:40 EST

Hi,

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:40:47AM +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 06:19:38AM +0000, Dexuan Cui wrote:

My guess is the xtables lock is not effective here, so waiting for it
probably won't help.

Dexuan, concurrent access is avoided in user space using a file-based
lock. So if multiple iptables(-restore) processes run in different
mount-namespaces, they might miss the other's /run/xtables.lock. Another
option would be if libiptc is used instead of calling iptables, but
that's more a shot in the dark - I don't know if libiptc doesn't support
obtaining the xtables lock.

> > I think we need a real fix.
>
> iptables-nft already fixes this.

nftables (and therefore iptables-nft) implement transactional logic in
kernel, user space automatically retries if a transaction's commit
fails.

Cheers, Phil