Re: LOCKDEP customizable numbers upper limit

From: Tetsuo Handa
Date: Thu May 13 2021 - 10:28:28 EST

On 2021/05/13 22:39, J. R. Okajima wrote:
> Hello,
>
> According to the commit in v5.13-rc1,
> 5dc33592e9553 2021-04-05 lockdep: Allow tuning tracing capacity constants.
> several lockdep numbers have their own range as 10--30.
> But if we set all 30s, we got a compilation error.

Thanks for your report.

Initial proposal at
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1595640639-9310-1-git-send-email-penguin-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
allowed only "double the upper limits", and subsequent proposals allowed arbitrary sizes in
response to https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CACT4Y+YXT9iLij-AbrUwj=yPq-YNFw=Au9g0LQJCKwYonaHCDQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/ ,
but practically increasing by a few bits should be sufficient.

I'm never expecting to use 30. I'm sure that setting 30s will become a too
much memory consumer that will prevent the kernel from booting correctly.
Thus, I don't think we need to care about randconfig kernels.

Please submit a patch that avoids only BUILD_BUG_ON().

Regards.