Re: Report on University of Minnesota Breach-of-Trust Incident

From: Richard Guy Briggs
Date: Tue May 11 2021 - 11:45:54 EST

On 2021-05-06 14:02, Metztli Information Technology wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-05-06 at 11:40 -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 10:26:16AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> This has aged well:
>
> "Linux has a problem, which is that with success it is attracting
> people with more skill than what it started with, and it is not doing a
> very good job of handling that. In fact, it downright stinks at it,
> behaving in the worst way it could choose for handling that. [Linux]
> have lost quite a number of FS developers who just don't want to deal
> with people who know less than they do but are obnoxious and
> disrespectful to submissions because they enjoy powertripping...
> *[Linux] should develop a culture in which acceptance is more based on
> whose code measurably performs well [,i.e, meritocracy, rather] than on
> who is friends with whom.*~
>
> < https://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/21/109 >

This sounds very Objectivist to me. It doesn't appear you read the rest
of the thread. The very first reply to that thread resonates:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/21/135

This is one of the reasons I gravitated to Linux just over 29 years ago
after a couple of years of exprience in other open source communities.

> Best Professional Regards.
> Jose R R

slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs -- ~\ -- ~\ <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca> -- \___ o \@ @ Ride yer bike!