Re: 'make O=' indigestion with module signing

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun May 09 2021 - 11:16:20 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > So the root cause was: 'make mrproper doesn't clean certs/' out enough,
> > > and this chunk of certs/Makefile
> > > I admit not being sure how (or if) this should be fixed
> >
> > It's tricky because CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_KEY may not point to a file, let alone a
> > file that was autogenerated - it can be given a PKCS#11 URI, for instance. I
> > had to put in the autogeneration based on a magic config string value to stop
> > randconfig blowing up - but it only does the autogeneration if you don't put
> > in your own file there before building.
> >
> > Possibly I can add something like:
> >
> > clean-files := signing_key.pem x509.genkey
> >
> > inside the
> >
> > ifeq ($(CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_KEY),"certs/signing_key.pem")
> > endif
> >
> > section.
>
> Note that this bug is now upstream in Linus's tree and has broken
> the deb-pkg distro kernel build method.
>
> Would be nice to make 'make mrproper' work again.

Correction - there appears to be something else going on, but the
error messages are similar:

At main.c:291:
- SSL error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:69
- SSL error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:76
sign-file: debian/linux-image/lib/modules/5.12.0-custom/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/aegis128-aesni.ko: No such file or directory
At main.c:291:

The error messages look pretty obscure to me. :-/

Thanks,

Ingo