Re: `quirk_usb_handoff_xhci` takes 60 ms with ASM1042

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Thu May 06 2021 - 11:23:09 EST

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 05:53:18PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 10:47:41AM -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> > > This is not a "quirk", it is part of how USB works.
> >
> > I agree, this doesn't look like a "quirk" in the sense of working
> > around a hardware defect; the handoff is just a normal part of
> > operating the device. But can you elaborate on why it must be done
> > this way?
> >
> > I'm looking at the xHCI r1.2 spec, sec 4.22.1. It talks about the
> > handoff synchronization process and says the OS driver shall use the
> > defined protocol to request ownership before it uses the device. But
> > AFAICT there's no specific "early-startup" requirement.
> >
> > quirk_usb_handoff_xhci() is in drivers/usb/host/pci-quirks.c, which is
> > always built statically and the quirk runs during device enumeration,
> > even if the xhcd driver itself is a module. It looks like we run the
> > quirk even if we never load the xhcd driver.
> >
> > Why can't we just do the handoff in the xhcd driver probe?
>
> I think, if we don't do the handoff, then the BIOS/firmware tries to
> send the OS fake keyboard/mouse commands, and Linux isn't ready for that
> as we didn't allow hotplug PS/2 stuff. But I could be wrong, it's been
> a long time since we did that logic.

I have no idea what "BIOS/firmware sending OS fake keyboard/mouse
commands" means. From the OS point of view, does that look like USB
events that cause PCI interrupts? PS/2 interrupts? Are these
commands caused by the user typing or moving the mouse? Or does BIOS
fabricate commands for other reasons?

The way you describe it, this *sounds* like a race, where Linux
mishandles commands that happen before the handoff quirk. Do you
remember what happens if BIOS sends a fake command before Linux is
ready for it? Unexpected interrupt?

Bjorn