Re: [ GIT PULL] tracing: Updates for 5.13

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Mon May 03 2021 - 16:03:44 EST

On Mon, 3 May 2021 11:27:02 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This is the first time I'm sending a pull request with a merge
> > in it. I'm hoping my scripts did everything correctly. Might want
> > to check it a bit more than usual.
>
> The merge looks fine. It causes the diffstat to show incorrectly,
> which is normal (and generally avoided by you doing a test merge so
> that you get the diffstat from the merged state - but don't send the
> merge itself to me, just use it to (a) look at what conflicts there
> will be and (b) get that correct diffstat for the end result).

OK, makes sense.

> That said, if the only reason for the merge was one single trivial
> commit, you could just have cherry-picked it instead, avoiding the
> things like "oh, now it has two merge bases so 'diff' no longer has an
> unambiguous result" etc.

I was thinking of doing the simple cherry-pick, but I wanted to test if
merges would work too, as I'm hoping that I can start pulling from others
someday, and not just take patches. I figured I'd try on a trivial merge
to see what breaks.

> But this is fine. If you start doing a lot of merges, I may really ask
> you to then also do that test-merge for the pull request, but if it's

Good to know. If I start pulling more complex merges, I'll do the test
merge for the diffstat then.

Thanks,

-- Steve