Re: Very slow clang kernel config ..

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun May 02 2021 - 13:59:47 EST

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 10:55 AM Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are you happy about libclang.so being a shared library?

Honestly, considering how I don't have any other package that I care
about than clang itself, and how this seems to be a *huge* performance
problem, then no.

But you are still entirely avoiding the real issue: the Fedora rule
that everything should be a shared library is simply bogus.

Even if the llvm/clang maintainers decide that that is what they want,
I know for a fact that that rule is completely the wrong thing in
other situations where people did *not* want that.

Can you please stop dancing around that issue, and just admit that the
whole "you should always use shared libraries" is simply WRONG.

Shared libraries really can have huge downsides, and the blind "shared
libraries are good" standpoint is just wrong.

Linus