Re: Very slow clang kernel config ..

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun May 02 2021 - 12:13:01 EST

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 2:31 AM Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The biggest advantage of shared libraries is that they enable
> distributions to provide security fixes.

Adrian - you're ignoring the real argument, to the point that the
above is basically a lie.

The argument was never that things like libc or the core GUI libraries
shouldn't be shared.

The argument was that the "one-off" libraries shouldn't be shared.

Things very much like libLLVM.so.

Or things like "libdivecomputer.so". You probably have never ever
heard of that library, have you? It's used by one single project, that
project isn't even in Fedora, but when we tried to make an rpm for it,
people complained because the Fedora rules said it needed to use
shared libraries.

So the whole notion that "shared libraries are good and required by
default" is pure and utter garbage. It's simply not true.

And no, it really didn't become any more true due to "security fixes".
Your argument is a red herring.

Linus