Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH 1/3] memblock: update initialization of reserved pages

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Thu Apr 15 2021 - 05:30:20 EST

Not sure we really need a new pagetype here, PG_Reserved seems to be quite
enough to say "don't touch this". I generally agree that we could make
PG_Reserved a PageType and then have several sub-types for reserved memory.
This definitely will add clarity but I'm not sure that this justifies
amount of churn and effort required to audit uses of PageResrved().
Then, we could mostly avoid having to query memblock at runtime to figure
out that this is special memory. This would obviously be an extension to
this series. Just a thought.

Stop pushing memblock out of kernel! ;-)

Can't stop. Won't stop. :D

It's lovely for booting up a kernel until we have other data-structures in place ;)

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb