perf arm64 --topdown support (was "perf arm64 metricgroup support")

From: John Garry
Date: Tue Apr 13 2021 - 05:48:37 EST

On 08/04/2021 13:06, Jiri Olsa wrote:
perf stat --topdown is not supported, as this requires the CPU PMU to
expose (alias) events for the TopDown L1 metrics from sysfs, which arm
does not do. To get that to work, we probably need to make perf use the
pmu-events cpumap to learn about those alias events.

Hi guys,

About supporting --topdown command for other archs apart from x86, it seems not possible today. Support there is based on kernel support for "topdown" CPU events used in the metric calculations. However, arm64, for example, does not support these "topdown" events.

It seems to me that we can change to use pmu-events framework + metricgroup support here, rather than hardcoded events - has anyone considered this approach previously? Seems a pretty big job, so thought I'd ask first ...

Thanks,
John