Re: Candidate Linux ABI for Intel AMX and hypothetical new related features

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Mon Apr 12 2021 - 10:31:46 EST

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 04:19:29PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Maybe we could have done this in 2016 when I reported this for the first
> time. Now it is too late, as more and more software is using
> CPUID-based detection for AVX-512.

So as I said on another mail today, I don't think a library should rely
solely on CPUID-based detection of features especially if those features
need kernel support too. IOW, it should ask whether the kernel can
handle those too, first.

And the CPUID-faulting thing would solve stuff like that because then
the kernel can *actually* get involved into answering something where it
has a say in, too.

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,