Re: Linux 5.12-rc7

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Mon Apr 12 2021 - 01:14:50 EST

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 03:41:18PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Oh well. rc5 was big. rc6 was small. And now rc7 is big again. In
> fact, it's the biggest rc7 (at least in number of commits) we've had
> in the 5.x series.
>
> It's mostly due to networking fixes (of which rc6 had none), and none
> of them should be all that scary, but it's never great when we have
> such a big rc. It's particularly annoying at the end of the release
> window like this.
>
> End result: I'm still waffling about the final 5.12 release. The fact
> that we have a big rc7 does make me think that I'll probably do an rc8
> this time around. But it ends up depending a bit on how the upcoming
> week goes, and if things are deathly quiet, I may end up deciding that
> an rc8 doesn't really make sense.
>
> So we'll see.
>
> Anyway, networking (both core and drivers) is over half of the rc7
> patch, with the rest being a fairly random collection of fixes all
> over. We've got other driver updates (sound, rdma, scsi, usb..) some
> fs fixes (io_uring, umount, btrfs, cifs, ocfs), minor arch fixes (arc,
> arm, parisc, powerpc, s390, x86), and other misc fixes.
>
> The shortlog is appended, although it's obviously not as nice and
> small and readable as I'd have liked at this point in the release..
>
> Please do test,

Build results:
total: 151 pass: 151 fail: 0
Qemu test results:
total: 460 pass: 459 fail: 1
Failed tests:
sh:rts7751r2dplus_defconfig:ata:net,virtio-net:rootfs

The failure bisects to commit 0f6925b3e8da ("virtio_net: Do not pull payload in
skb->head"). It is a spurious problem - the test passes roughly every other
time. When the failure is seen, udhcpc fails to get an IP address and aborts
with SIGTERM. So far I have only seen this with the "sh" architecture.

Guenter