Re: [RFC] net: core: devlink: add port_params_ops for devlink port parameters altering

From: Samudrala, Sridhar
Date: Fri Apr 09 2021 - 15:26:13 EST

On 4/9/2021 11:37 AM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 20:01:14 +0300 Vadym Kochan wrote:
On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 09:51:13AM -0700, Samudrala, Sridhar wrote:
On 4/9/2021 9:22 AM, Oleksandr Mazur wrote:
I'd like to discuss a possibility of handling devlink port parameters
with devlink port pointer supplied.

Current design makes it impossible to distinguish which port's parameter
should get altered (set) or retrieved (get) whenever there's a single
parameter registered within a few ports.
I also noticed this issue recently when trying to add port parameters and
I have a patch that handles this in a different way. The ops in devlink_param
struct can be updated to include port_index as an argument
We were thinking on this direction but rather decided to have more strict
cb signature which reflects that we are working with devlink_port only.
+1 for passing the actual pointer
OK. This way we don't need to change the existing users of devlink param ops.