Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH 0/3] arm64: drop pfn_valid_within() and simplify pfn_valid()

From: Mike Rapoport
Date: Thu Apr 08 2021 - 02:28:11 EST

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 10:49:02AM +0530, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
> Adding James here.
>
> + James Morse <james.morse@xxxxxxx>
>
> On 4/7/21 10:56 PM, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> > From: Mike Rapoport <rppt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > These patches aim to remove CONFIG_HOLES_IN_ZONE and essentially hardwire
> > pfn_valid_within() to 1.
>
> That would be really great for arm64 platform as it will save CPU cycles on
> many generic MM paths, given that our pfn_valid() has been expensive.
>

> > The idea is to mark NOMAP pages as reserved in the memory map and restore
>
> Though I am not really sure, would that possibly be problematic for UEFI/EFI
> use cases as it might have just treated them as normal struct pages till now.

I don't think there should be a problem because now the struct pages for
UEFI/ACPI never got to be used by the core mm. They were (rightfully)
skipped by memblock_free_all() from one side and pfn_valid() and
pfn_valid_within() return false for them in various pfn walkers from the
other side.

> > the intended semantics of pfn_valid() to designate availability of struct
> > page for a pfn.
>
> Right, that would be better as the current semantics is not ideal.
>

> > With this the core mm will be able to cope with the fact that it cannot use
> > NOMAP pages and the holes created by NOMAP ranges within MAX_ORDER blocks
> > will be treated correctly even without the need for pfn_valid_within.
> >
> > The patches are only boot tested on qemu-system-aarch64 so I'd really
> > appreciate memory stress tests on real hardware.
>
> Did some preliminary memory stress tests on a guest with portions of memory
> marked as MEMBLOCK_NOMAP and did not find any obvious problem. But this might
> require some testing on real UEFI environment with firmware using MEMBLOCK_NOMAP
> memory to make sure that changing these struct pages to PageReserved() is safe.

I surely have no access for such machines :)

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.