Re: Possible regression due to 269a535ca931 "modpost: generate vmlinux.symvers and reuse it for the second modpost"

From: Vladimir Murzin
Date: Fri Mar 05 2021 - 09:16:18 EST

On 3/4/21 5:24 PM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 1:21 AM Vladimir Murzin <vladimir.murzin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [ snip long description ]
>

>> Does that make sense? What I'm missing?
>>
>> P.S.
>> I've also checked v5.12-rc1 and see the same symptoms
>
> Since you ran "make allnoconfig",
> the module feature was disabled.
> (CONFIG_MODULES=n)
>
> That is why you cannot build external modules.

That's a good point, yet was not reason for my issue :) It forced me to try with ARCH=arm
(and update toolchain)

$ CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabihf- make ARCH=arm mrproper
$ CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabihf- make ARCH=arm vexpress_defconfig
$ grep -w CONFIG_MODULES .config
CONFIG_MODULES=y
$ grep "=m" .config
$ echo $?
1
$ CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabihf- make ARCH=arm Image -j5 > /dev/null
$ ls *.symvers
vmlinux.symvers
$ CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabihf- make ARCH=arm Image -j5 modules > /dev/null
$ ls *.symvers
Module.symvers vmlinux.symvers

So, `make modules` seems to become be mandatory. I'll go and update my scripts...

Cheers
Vladimir