Re: [GIT PULL] Modules updates for v5.12

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed Feb 24 2021 - 02:53:16 EST

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:07:39PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > This is unacceptably slow. If that symbol trimming takes 30% of the
> > whole kernel build time, it needs to be fixed or removed.
>
> I think I'm going to mark TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS as "depends on BROKEN".
> There's no way I can accept that horrible overhead, and the rationale
> for that config option is questionable at best,

I think it is pretty useful for embedded setups.

BROKEN seems pretty strong for something that absolutely works as
intendended. I guess to make you (and possibly others) not grumpy
we just need to ensure it doesn't get pulled in by allmodconfig.

So maybe just invert the symbol, default the KEEP_UNUSED_SYMBOL, and
add a message to the helptext explaining the slowdown?