Re: [Patch v4 1/3] lib: Restrict cpumask_local_spread to houskeeping CPUs

From: Nitesh Narayan Lal
Date: Thu Jan 28 2021 - 12:39:39 EST

On 1/28/21 11:59 AM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 05:02:41PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>>> Robin,
>>>
>>> AFAICS online CPUs should be filtered.
>> The whole pile wants to be reverted. It's simply broken in several ways.
> I was asking for your comments on interaction with CPU hotplug :-)
> Anyway...
>
> So housekeeping_cpumask has multiple meanings. In this case:
>
> HK_FLAG_DOMAIN | HK_FLAG_MANAGED_IRQ
>
> domain
> Isolate from the general SMP balancing and scheduling
> algorithms. Note that performing domain isolation this way
> is irreversible: it's not possible to bring back a CPU to
> the domains once isolated through isolcpus. It's strongly
> advised to use cpusets instead to disable scheduler load
> balancing through the "cpuset.sched_load_balance" file.
> It offers a much more flexible interface where CPUs can
> move in and out of an isolated set anytime.
>
> You can move a process onto or off an "isolated" CPU via
> the CPU affinity syscalls or cpuset.
> <cpu number> begins at 0 and the maximum value is
> "number of CPUs in system - 1".
>
> managed_irq
>
> Isolate from being targeted by managed interrupts
> which have an interrupt mask containing isolated
> CPUs. The affinity of managed interrupts is
> handled by the kernel and cannot be changed via
> the /proc/irq/* interfaces.
>
> This isolation is best effort and only effective
> if the automatically assigned interrupt mask of a
> device queue contains isolated and housekeeping
> CPUs. If housekeeping CPUs are online then such
> interrupts are directed to the housekeeping CPU
> so that IO submitted on the housekeeping CPU
> cannot disturb the isolated CPU.
>
> If a queue's affinity mask contains only isolated
> CPUs then this parameter has no effect on the
> interrupt routing decision, though interrupts are
> only delivered when tasks running on those
> isolated CPUs submit IO. IO submitted on
> housekeeping CPUs has no influence on those
> queues.
>
> So as long as the meaning of the flags are respected, seems
> alright.
>
> Nitesh, is there anything preventing this from being fixed
> in userspace ? (as Thomas suggested previously).

I think it should be doable atleast for most of the devices.
However, I do wonder if there is a better way of fixing this generically
from the kernel?

Currently, as Thomas mentioned housekeeping_cpumask() is used at different
locations just to fix the issue corresponding to that component or driver.

--
Thanks
Nitesh