Re: Splicing to/from a tty

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jan 24 2021 - 14:13:18 EST

Al,
coming back to this because rc5 is imminent..

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 11:45 AM Al Viro <viro@zeniv-ca> wrote:

> do_splice_direct() does something that do_splice() won't - it
> handles non-pipe to non-pipe case. Which is how sendfile(2) is
> normally used, of course.
>
> I'll look into that in more details, but IMO bothering with
> internal pipe is just plain wrong for those cases.

You clearly thought about this, with the emails about odd error cases,
but I get the feeling that for fixing the current "you can't
sendfile() to a pipe" regression (including stable) we should do the
one-liner. No?

I agree that it would be better fixed by just having sendfile()
basically turn into splice() for the pipe target case, but I haven't
seen any patches from you, so I assume it wasn't 100% trivial.

Hmm?

Linus