Re: [RFC V1 3/7] crypto: ghash - Optimized GHASH computations

From: Ard Biesheuvel
Date: Sat Jan 16 2021 - 12:20:37 EST

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 06:13, Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/15/21 6:04 PM, Eric Biggers wrote:
> >> That's true, bit it's also possible that a hypervisor could enumerate
> >> support for PCLMULQDQ and not AES-NI. In general, we've tried to
> >> implement x86 CPU features independently, even if they never show up in
> >> a real CPU independently.
> > We only add optimized implementations of crypto algorithms if they are actually
> > useful, though. If they would never be used in practice, that's not useful.
>
> Yes, totally agree. If it's not of practical use, it doesn't get merged.
>
> I just wanted to share what we do for other related but independent CPU
> features.

Thanks for the insight.

The issue with the current GHASH driver is that it uses infrastructure
that we may decide to remove (the async cryptd helper [0]). So adding
more dependencies on that without any proven benefit should obviously
be avoided at this time as well.

[0] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/20201218170106.23280-1-ardb@xxxxxxxxxx/