Re: [GIT PULL] xfs: new code for 5.11

From: Dmitrii Tcvetkov
Date: Tue Dec 29 2020 - 02:53:27 EST

>Please pull the following branch containing all the new xfs code for
>5.11. In this release we add the ability to set a 'needsrepair' flag
>indicating that we /know/ the filesystem requires xfs_repair, but other
>than that, it's the usual strengthening of metadata validation and
>miscellaneous cleanups.
>New code for 5.11:
>- Introduce a "needsrepair" "feature" to flag a filesystem as needing a
> pass through xfs_repair. This is key to enabling filesystem upgrades
> (in xfs_db) that require xfs_repair to make minor adjustments to
>metadata.

Hello.

Most likely I miss something obvious but according to xfs_repair(8):
BUGS:
The filesystem to be checked and repaired must have been unmounted
cleanly using normal system administration procedures (the
umount(8) command or system shutdown), not as a result of a
crash or system reset. If the filesystem has not been unmounted
cleanly, mount it and unmount it cleanly before running xfs_repair.

which is there since commit d321ceac "add libxlog directory"
Date: Wed Oct 17 11:00:32 2001 +0000 in xfsprogs-dev[1].

So will be there situation of uncleanly unmounted filesystem with
"needsrepair" bit set? Will one be able to mount and umount it before
running xfs_repair in that case?

[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfsprogs-dev.git