Re: WARNING: filesystem loop5 was created with 512 inodes, the real maximum is 511, mounting anyway

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Tue Dec 01 2020 - 16:18:21 EST

On 11/30/20 11:47 PM, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 2:03 AM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi Randy,
>>>
>>> I see this bug was reported with a reproducer:
>>> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=a32ebd5db2f7c957b82cf54b97bdecf367bf0421
>>> I assume it's a dup of this one.
>>
>> Sure, looks the same.
>>
>>> If you need the image itself, you can dump it to a file in the C
>>> reproducer inside of syz_mount_image before mount call.
>>
>> Yes, got that.
>>
>> What outcome or result are you looking for here?
>> Or what do you see as the problem?
>
> Hi Randy,
>
> "WARNING:" in kernel output is supposed to mean a kernel source bug.
> Presence of that kernel bug is what syzbot has reported.
>
> Note: the bug may be a misuse of the "WARNING:" for invalid user
> inputs in output as well :)

[adding Al Viro]

Hi Dmitry,

I expect that the "WARNING:" message is being interpreted incorrectly here,
but that's a minor issue IMO.

if (info->si_lasti == BFS_MAX_LASTI)
printf("WARNING: filesystem %s was created with 512 inodes, the real maximum is 511, mounting anyway\n", s->s_id);

If you/we look at fs/bfs/bfs.h, it says:

/* In theory BFS supports up to 512 inodes, numbered from 2 (for /) up to 513 inclusive.
In actual fact, attempting to create the 512th inode (i.e. inode No. 513 or file No. 511)
will fail with ENOSPC in bfs_add_entry(): the root directory cannot contain so many entries, counting '..'.
So, mkfs.bfs(8) should really limit its -N option to 511 and not 512. For now, we just print a warning
if a filesystem is mounted with such "impossible to fill up" number of inodes */

so one question is why does syzkaller try to do this at all?
Why not set number-of-inodes to 511 instead of 512 in the BFS image file?

However, in testing this, I see that the BFS image is not mounted
on /dev/loop# at all.

'mount' says:

# mount -t bfs -o loop bfsfilesyz000.img /mnt/stand
mount: /mnt/stand: mount(2) system call failed: Not a directory.

(but it is a directory)

and I have tracked that down to fs/namespace.c::graft_tree()
returning -ENOTDIR, but I don't know why that is happening.

Al, can you provide any insights on this?

thanks.
--
~Randy