Re: disabling CONFIG_LED_CLASS (SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK)

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Wed Oct 14 2020 - 04:19:44 EST

On 10/13/20 10:16 PM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> On 14-10-2020 07:07, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> On 10/13/20 9:56 PM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>
>>> I.e.: it looks like I will lose some funcionality when I disable
>>> SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK.
>>
>> OK. At present you can't have it both ways, i.e., SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK
>> with no LEDS. That driver apparently wants LEDS.
>
> Thanks but why have I gone for years without LEDS?
> I do not need LEDS, I do not want LEDS, I do not have LEDS (that are
> visible, usable, etc).
>
> Please make this selectable instead of forcing more bulk into my kernel.
>
> Kind regards,
> Udo

Hi Takashi,

Regarding
commit 7cdf8c49b1df0a385db06c4f9a5ba1b16510fdcc
Author: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu Jun 18 13:08:31 2020 +0200
ALSA: hda: generic: Add a helper for mic-mute LED with LED classdev

and this Kconfig entry:

config SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK
tristate "Build Realtek HD-audio codec support"
select SND_HDA_GENERIC
select SND_HDA_GENERIC_LEDS

it seems that LED support is not always wanted (please see above).
I.e., user(s) would like to build a kernel without LED support at all.

Can you make it a build option?

thanks.
--
~Randy