Re: Bug in herd7 [Was: Re: Litmus test for question from Al Viro]

From: Alan Stern
Date: Mon Oct 05 2020 - 15:48:38 EST

On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 12:18:01PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> Aside from naming and comment, how about my adding the following?
>
> Thanx, Paul

> C crypto-control-data-1

Let's call it something more along the lines of
dependencies-in-nested-expressions. Maybe you can think of something a
little more succinct, but that's the general idea of the test.

> (*
> * LB plus crypto-mb-data plus data.

The actual pattern is LB+mb+data.

> *
> * Result: Never
> *
> * This is an example of OOTA and we would like it to be forbidden.
> * If you want herd7 to get the right answer, you must use herdtools
> * 0f3f8188a326 (" [herd] Fix dependency definition") or later.

Versions of herd7 prior to commit 0f3f8188a326 ("[herd] Fix dependency
definition") recognize data dependencies only when they flow through an
intermediate local variable. Since the dependency in P1 doesn't, those
versions get the wrong answer for this test.

> *)
>
> {}
>
> P0(int *x, int *y)
> {