Re: WARNING in get_signal

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Mon Oct 05 2020 - 09:49:33 EST

On 10/02, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> syzbot <syzbot+3485e3773f7da290eecc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > syzbot found the following issue on:
>
> So this is:
>
> static void do_jobctl_trap(void)
> {
> struct signal_struct *signal = current->signal;
> int signr = current->jobctl & JOBCTL_STOP_SIGMASK;
>
> if (current->ptrace & PT_SEIZED) {
> if (!signal->group_stop_count &&
> !(signal->flags & SIGNAL_STOP_STOPPED))
> signr = SIGTRAP;
> WARN_ON_ONCE(!signr);
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ptrace_do_notify(signr, signr | (PTRACE_EVENT_STOP << 8),
> CLD_STOPPED);
> } else {
> WARN_ON_ONCE(!signr);
> ptrace_stop(signr, CLD_STOPPED, 0, NULL);
> current->exit_code = 0;
> }
> }
>
> I have the state of this paged out of my head at the moment.
>
> Oleg or Tejun do you remember what is supposed to keep signr from being
> NULL?

This nearly killed me, but I seem to understand whats going on.
ptrace_init_task() does task_set_jobctl_pending(JOBCTL_TRAP_STOP) while
SIGNAL_STOP_STOPPED, child->jobctl & JOBCTL_STOP_SIGMASK == 0.

> It looks like this code was introduced in commit 73ddff2bee15 ("job
> control: introduce JOBCTL_TRAP_STOP and use it for group stop trap").

Yes, but I bet this was broken later, _may be_ by 924de3b8c9410c4.

I need to take a rest and read this code again. I too forgot how this
all supposed to work.

Oleg.