Re: ledtrig-cpu: Limit to 4 CPUs

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Sep 25 2020 - 05:40:45 EST

Hi!

> >>So.. no, it is not causing kernel crashes or something. But it is
> >>example of bad interface, and _that_ is causing problems. (And yes, if
> >>I realized it is simply possible to limit it, maybe the BIN_ATTR
> >>conversion would not be neccessary...)
> >
> >The limitation you proposed breaks the trigger on many plafforms.
>
> Actually it precludes its use.
>
> I still see the patch in your linux-next, so I reserve myself the
> right to comment on your pull request.

You are free to comment on anything.

I believe probability someone uses that with more than 4 CPUs is <
5%. Probability that someone uses it with more than 100 CPUs is << 1%
I'd say. Systems just don't have that many LEDs. I'll take the risk.

If I broke someone's real, existing setup, I'll raise the limit.

(With exception of uled setups. In such cases, I'll just laugh.)

If you know or can find out someone using it with more than 4 CPUs, I
can obviously raise the limit before the merge.

Best regards,
Pavel