RE: printk: Add process name information to printk() output.

From: 김창기
Date: Mon Sep 07 2020 - 05:28:56 EST

> > From my POV, if we support 3 timestamps then they must be stored
> > reliably. And dict ring is out of the game.
>
> Agreed. I am just trying to think of how to better manage the strings,
> which currently are rare and optional. That is where the dict_ring becomes
> interesting.
>
> Perhaps we should use both the fixed structs with the variable dict_ring.
> printk_ext_info could look like this:
>
> struct struct printk_ext_info {
> u64 ts_boot;
> u64 ts_real;
> char *process;
> char *subsystem;
> char *device;
> };
>
> And @process, @subsystem, @device could all point to null-terminated
> trings within the dict_ring. So printk.c code looks something like this:
>
> size_t process_sz = strlen(process) + 1; size_t subsystem_sz =
> strlen(subsystem) + 1; size_t device_sz = strlen(device) + 1; struct
> prb_reserved_entry e; struct printk_record r; char *p;
>
> prb_rec_init_wr(&r, text_len, process_sz + subsystem_sz + device_sz);
> prb_reserve(&e, prb, &r);
>
> memcpy(r.text_buf, text, text_len);
> r.info->text_len = text_len;
>
> /* guaranteed ext data */
> r.ext_info->ts_boot = time_boot();
> r.ext_info->ts_real = time_real();
>
> /* optional ext data */
> if (r.dict_buf) {
> p = r.dict_buf;
>
> memcpy(p, process, process_sz);
> r.ext_info->process = p;
> p += process_sz;
>
> memcpy(p, subsystem, subsystem_sz);
> r.ext_info->subsystem = p;
> p += subsystem_sz;
>
> memcpy(p, device, device_sz);
> r.ext_info->device = p;
>
> r.info->dict_len = process_sz + subsystem_sz + device_sz; }
>
> > And I am not comfortable even with the current dictionary handling.
> > I already wrote this somewhere. The following command is supposed to
> > show all kernel messages printed by "pci" subsystem:
> >
> > $> journalctl _KERNEL_SUBSYSTEM=pci
> >
> > It will be incomplete when the dictionary metadata were not saved.
>
> In that case, perhaps @subsystem should be a static array in
> printk_ext_info instead.
>
> > Regarding the waste of space. The dict ring currently has the same
> > size as the text ring. It is likely a waste of space as well. Any
> > tuning is complicated because it depends on the use case.
>
> The whole point of the dict_ring is that it allows for variable length
> _optional_ data to be stored. If we decide there is no optional data, then
> dict_ring is not needed.
>
> > The advantage of the fixed @ext_info[] array is that everything is
> > clear, simple, and predictable (taken space and name length limits).
> > We could easily tell users what they will get for a given cost.
>
> Agreed. For non-optional data (such as your timestamps), I am in full
> agreement that a fixed array is the way to go. And it would only require a
> couple lines of code added to the ringbuffer.

> [...]

To be honest, This patch is made based on kernel 5.4.
So I haven't fully figured out the printk ring buffer yet.
When I see the code, dict_buf didn't print out into prefix. Right?
I want to print out the information into prefix.

When I developed the kernel in Android,
we could modify prefix of kernel log format. Because we should be able to
obtain a lot of information with just a kernel log.
But now, we can't modify the prefix due to GKI. So We need a printk where
we can freely modify the prefix.
The prefix doesn't need to be saved to log_buf. It only needs to be printed
out.

It would be great if printk.format is possible.

printk.format=ts,cpu,comm,pid,in_atomic

Changki Kim.