Re: [GIT PULL] fallthrough pseudo-keyword macro conversions for 5.9-rc3

From: Gustavo A. R. Silva
Date: Mon Aug 24 2020 - 16:52:55 EST

On 8/24/20 13:46, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 8:42 PM Gustavo A. R. Silva
> <gustavoars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Not sure what the problem was with my pull-request for -rc2. So, I'm giving
>> this a second try because I think it is worth it.
>
> Just "a ton of lines changed across subsystems, I feel like I need to check it".

Yep; you're right. These are tons of changes...

> For example, you say that you remove unnecessary fall-through
> markings, but I'm not sure what your pattern for that was.

fall-through markings are not necessary for consecutive case labels.

I will soon send a patch to add this info to "Implicit switch case fall-through"
in deprecated.rst

> You left the one in arch/arm64/kernel/cpuinfo.c:
> cpuinfo_detect_icache_policy(), for example.
>> And you've fixed up indentation clearly by hand in places, but then
> it's incorrectly done in other places (dib8096_set_param_override())

Yeah; I overlooked those two. I'll address them in a future pull-request.

> I've pulled it, but these kinds of "trivial" conversions do make me
> nervous. We've had a lot of cases of them breaking things, and it's a
> pain to find when it happens.

I know; don't worry, I'll be here to fix anything that has to do with
this change ASAP, like in this case:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200824203614.GA28543@embeddedor/

could you take it?

> I think I'd have preferred to get this as a couple of scripts that do
> the obvious 1:1 direct conversion of the simple cases that cover 90%
> of it all, so then the manual fixups separately.

I've got it. I will certainly take this into account for future PRs.

> Oh well. I've pulled it.

Awesome. :)

Thank you!
--