Re: make defconfig (Re: + x86-defconfigs-explicitly-unset-config_64bit-in-i386_defconfig.patch added to -mm tree)

From: Sedat Dilek
Date: Fri Aug 21 2020 - 14:52:42 EST

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 7:27 PM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/21/20 10:22 AM, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 02:29:40PM -0700, akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> Subject: x86/defconfigs: Explicitly unset CONFIG_64BIT in i386_defconfig
> >>
> >> A recent refresh of the defconfigs got rid of the following (unset)
> >> config:
> >>
> >> # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
> >>
> >> Innocuous as it seems, when the config file is saved again the
> >> behavior is changed so that CONFIG_64BIT=y.
> >>
> >> Currently,
> >>
> >> $ make i386_defconfig
> >> $ grep CONFIG_64BIT .config
> >> CONFIG_64BIT=y
> >>
> >> whereas previously (and with this patch):
> >>
> >> $ make i386_defconfig
> >> $ grep CONFIG_64BIT .config
> >> # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
> >
> > It is highly, highly, highly advisable to always pass ARCH when dealing
> > with 32/64-bit archs:
> >
> > +---------------------------------------+
> > | make ARCH=x86_64 defconfig |
> > | make ARCH=i386 defconfig |
> > +---------------------------------------+
>
> I certainly always do that and I also avoid
> ARCH=x86
> although it is supported/allowed.

Unsure, if this already documented - if not - might be good to document it.

While playing with ClangBuiltLinux issue #194 this was not clear to me.

- Sedat -

[1] https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues/194
[2] https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues/194#issuecomment-662433916
[3] https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues/194#issuecomment-662613396