Re: FSGSBASE causing panic on 5.9-rc1

From: Tom Lendacky
Date: Thu Aug 20 2020 - 11:21:49 EST

On 8/20/20 10:10 AM, Sean Christopherson wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 05:21:33PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 2:25 PM Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 11:19 AM Tom Lendacky <thomas.lendacky@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 8/19/20 1:07 PM, Tom Lendacky wrote:
It looks like the FSGSBASE support is crashing my second generation EPYC
system. I was able to bisect it to:

b745cfba44c1 ("x86/cpu: Enable FSGSBASE on 64bit by default and add a chicken bit")

The panic only happens when using KVM. Doing kernel builds or stress
on bare-metal appears fine. But if I fire up, in this case, a 64-vCPU
guest and do a kernel build within the guest, I get the following:

I should clarify that this panic is on the bare-metal system, not in the
guest. And that specifying nofsgsbase on the bare-metal command line fixes
the issue.

I certainly see some oddities:

We have this code:

static void svm_vcpu_put(struct kvm_vcpu *vcpu)
{
struct vcpu_svm *svm = to_svm(vcpu);
int i;

avic_vcpu_put(vcpu);

++vcpu->stat.host_state_reload;
kvm_load_ldt(svm->host.ldt);
#ifdef CONFIG_X86_64
loadsegment(fs, svm->host.fs);
wrmsrl(MSR_KERNEL_GS_BASE, current->thread.gsbase);

Pretty sure current->thread.gsbase can be stale, i.e. this needs:

current_save_fsgs();

I did try adding current_save_fsgs() in svm_vcpu_load(), saving the current->thread.gsbase value to a new variable in the svm struct. I then used that variable in the wrmsrl below, but it still crashed.

Thanks,
Tom

wrmsrl(MSR_KERNEL_GS_BASE, current->thread.gsbase);

On a related topic, we really should consolidate the VMX and SVM code for
these flows, they're both ugly.

load_gs_index(svm->host.gs);

Surely that should do load_gs_index() *before* wrmsrl(). But that's
not the problem at hand.

There are also some open-coded rdmsr and wrmsrs of MSR_GS_BASE --
surely these should be x86_gsbase_read_cpu() and
x86_gsbase_write_cpu(). (Those functions don't actually exist, but
the fsbase equivalents do, and we should add them.) But that's also
not the problem at hand.

Make that cpu_kernelmode_gs_base(cpu). Perf win on all CPUs.

But I still don't see the bug.