Re: [RFC-PATCH 1/2] mm: Add __GFP_NO_LOCKS flag

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Tue Aug 18 2020 - 13:13:35 EST

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 06:55:11PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18 2020 at 09:13, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> >> Throttling the flooder is incresing robustness far more than reducing
> >> cache misses.
> >
> > True, but it takes time to identify a flooding event that needs to be
> > throttled (as in milliseconds). This time cannot be made up.
>
> Not really. A flooding event will deplete your preallocated pages very
> fast, so you have to go into the allocator and get new ones which
> naturally throttles the offender.

Should it turn out that we can in fact go into the allocator, completely
agreed.

> So if your open/close thing uses the new single argument free which has
> to be called from sleepable context then the allocation either gives you
> a page or that thing has to wait. No fancy extras.

In the single-argument kvfree_rcu() case, completely agreed.

> You still can have a page reserved for your other regular things and
> once that it gone, you have to fall back to the linked list for
> those. But when that happens the extra cache misses are not your main
> problem anymore.

The extra cache misses are a problem in that case because they throttle
the reclamation, which anti-throttles the producer, especially in the
case where callback invocation is offloaded.

Thanx, Paul