Re: checkpatch: support deprecated terms checking

From: Michał Mirosław
Date: Sun Jul 26 2020 - 17:00:01 EST

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 08:07:48PM +0200, SeongJae Park wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:42:06 -0700 Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2020-07-26 at 17:36 +0200, SeongJae Park wrote:
> > > On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 07:50:54 -0700 Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > []
> > >
> > > Me, neither. But, I think providing more warnings and references is better for
> > > that.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the inexperienced _do_ in fact run
> > checkpatch on files and submit inappropriate patches.
> >
> > It's generally a time sink for the experienced
> > maintainers to reply.
> >
> > > Simply limiting checks could allow people submitting inappropriate patches
> > > intorducing new uses of deprecated terms.
> >
> > Tradeoffs...
> >
> > I expect that patches being reviewed by maintainers
> > are preferred over files being inappropriately changed
> > by the inexperienced.
> >
> > Those inappropriate changes should not be encouraged
> > by tools placed in the hands of the inexperienced.
>
> Right, many things are tradeoff. Seems we arrived in the point, though we
> still have different opinions. To summarize the pros and cons of my patch from
> my perspective:
>
> Pros 1: Handle future terms deprecated with different reasons and coverages.
> Pros 2: Inappropriate patches are avoided if the submitters carefully read the
> warning messages.
> Cons: Careless people could still bother maintainers by not carefully reading
> the message and sending inappropriate patches.
>
> To me, the pros still seems larger than the cons. I would like to also again
> mention that the maintainer who first reported the problem, Michal, told it's
> ok with the explicit messaging. Nonethelss, this is just my opinion.
>
> Attaching the patch addressing your comments for the previous version. The
> changes from the previous version are:
>
> - Make the name of reported terms not too verbose
> - Avoid unnecessary initialization of the reported terms hash
> - Warn multiple deprecated terms in same line

Hi,

Maybe you could split the meaning of --subjective and --strict, and
enable those checks only for --subjective? The test is really hard to do
right: you would have to consider the context and not only mere occurrence
of a word (heh, I even wrote 'blacklisted' here, since it really is about
a night/danger analogy and not political/ethical one).

Best Regards,
Michał Mirosław