Re: objtool clac/stac handling change..

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jul 02 2020 - 15:52:49 EST

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 6:32 AM Michael Ellerman <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Probably the simplest option for us is to just handle it in our
> unsafe_op_wrap(). I'll try and come up with something tomorrow.

IMy suggestion was to basically just always handle it in all exception cases.

And note that IU don't mean the fault handler: obviously page faults
(or unaligned faults or whatever) can happen while in a user access
region.

But I mean any time fixup_exception() triggers.

For x86, this is in fact particularly natural: it involves just always
clearing the AC bit in the "struct pt_regs" that fixup_exception()
gets anyway. We can do it without even bothering with checking for
CLAC/STAC support, since without it, AC is meaningless in kernel mode
anyway, but also because doing "user_access_end()" in the exception
would be pointless: AC is restored by the exception routine, so on x86
you *have* to do it by just modifying the return state.

Linus