Re: [RFC 00/10] perf tools: Add support to reuse metric

From: Ian Rogers
Date: Fri Jun 26 2020 - 17:44:29 EST

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 2:25 PM Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 09:47:10PM +0200, Jiri Olsa wrote:
> > hi,
> > this patchset is adding the support to reused metric in another
> > metric. The metric needs to be referenced by 'metric:' prefix.
>
> Why is the prefix needed?
>
> Could just look it up without prefix.

The name could be a metric or an event, the logic for each is quite
different. You could look up an event and when it fails assume it was
a metric, but I like the simplicity of this approach. Maybe this
change could be adopted more widely with something like "perf stat -e
metric:IPC -a -I 1000" rather than the current "perf stat -M IPC -a -I
1000".

Thanks,
Ian