Re: WARNING at switch_mm_irqs_off, followed by frozen machine

From: Ilkka Prusi
Date: Fri Jun 19 2020 - 21:00:10 EST

Hi,

On 18.6.2020 13.21, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 02:32:39AM +0300, Ilkka Prusi wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday my computer with kernel version 5.7.2 was frozen badly enough that
hard reset was necessary (did not react to SysRq keys). Upon checking logs I
found following warning and information from the time just before resetting
it.

Computer has AMD Ryzen 7 2700, Asus B450 motherboard.

5.8-rc1 encountered BUG() and did not boot (iommu and smp_processor_id()
called from wrong context, I'll see if I can catch log somehow).
Since you're building your own kernels, can you make sure to always
have:

- CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y
- CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y

and then when reporting, run the thing through:

./scripts/decode_stacktrace.sh

Ok, thanks for letting me know, I'll try that.

And then pattern match that against my local defconfig build of
arch/x86/mm/tlb.o and pray my compiler did anyting like your
(unspecified) compiler.

Forgot to mention that, currently it is:

gcc (Debian 9.3.0-13) 9.3.0

I'll try your suggestions, sorry for not replying sooner.

--

Â- Ilkka Prusi