Re: RFC - kernel selftest result documentation (KTAP)

From: Brendan Higgins
Date: Fri Jun 19 2020 - 15:40:09 EST

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 2:16 PM Bird, Tim <Tim.Bird@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

Well as long as everyone is cool with it for now we can put the
problem for later.

> > > - reason: try to keep things line-based, since output from other things
> > > may be interspersed with messages from the test itself
> > > - TODO directive
> >
> > Is this more of stating a fact or desire? We don't use TODO either, but
> > it looks like it could be useful.
> Just stating a fact. I didn't find TODO in either KUnit or selftest in
> November when I initially wrote this up. If TODO serves as a kind
> of XFAIL, it could be useful. I have nothing against it.

Fair enough.

> > > KTAP Extensions beyond TAP13:
> > > - nesting
> > > - via indentation
> > > - indentation makes it easier for humans to read
> > > - test identifier
> > > - multiple parts, separated by ':'
> >
> > Can you elabroate on this more? I am not sure what you mean.
> An individual test case can have a name that is scoped by a containing
> test or test suite. For example: selftests: cpufreq: main.sh
> This test identifier consists of the test system (selftests), the test
> area (cpufreq), and the test case name (main.sh). This one's a bit
> weird because the test case name is just the name of the program
> in that test area. The program itself doesn't output data in TAP format,
> and the harness uses it's exit code to detect PASS/FAIL. if main.sh had
> multiple test cases, it might produce test identifiers like this:
> selftests: cpufreq: main: check_change_afinity_mask
> selftests: cpufreq: main: check_permissions_for_mask_operation
> (Or it might just produce the last part of these strings, the
> testcase names, and the testcase id might be something generated
> by the harness or CI system.)

+Alan Maguire

Aha, that is something we (Alan, David, Kees, and myself) were talking
about on another thread:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kselftest/CABVgOSnjrzfFOMF0VE1-5Ks-e40fc0XZsNZ92jE60ZOhYmZWog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#m682be9f9103f7b363b702e49c137d83a4833fcae

I think that makes a lot of sense if it isn't too hard in practice.

> The value of having a single string to identify the testcase (like a
> uniform resource locator), is that it's easier to use the string to
> correlate results produced from different CI system that are executing
> the same test.

Makes sense.

> > > - summary lines
> > > - can be skipped by CI systems that do their own calculations
> > >
> > > Other notes:
> > > - automatic assignment of result status based on exit code
> > >
> > > Tips:
> > > - do NOT describe the result in the test line
> > > - the test case description should be the same whether the test
> > > succeeds or fails
> > > - use diagnostic lines to describe or explain results, if this is
> > > desirable
> > > - test numbers are considered harmful
> > > - test harnesses should use the test description as the identifier
> > > - test numbers change when testcases are added or removed
> > > - which means that results can't be compared between different
> > > versions of the test
> > > - recommendations for diagnostic messages:
> > > - reason for failure
> > > - reason for skip
> > > - diagnostic data should always preceding the result line
> > > - problem: harness may emit result before test can do assessment
> > > to determine reason for result
> > > - this is what the kernel uses
> > >
> > > Differences between kernel test result format and TAP13:
> > > - in KTAP the "# SKIP" directive is placed after the description on
> > > the test result line
> > >
> > > ====== start of ktap-doc-rfc.txt ======
> > > OK - that's the end of the RFC doc.
> > >
> > > Here are a few questions:
> > > - is this document desired or not?
> > > - is it too long or too short?
> > > - if the document is desired, where should it be placed?
> >
> > I like it. I don't think we can rely on the TAP people updating their
> > stuff based on my interactions with them. So having a spec which is
> > actually maintained would be nice.
> >
> > Maybe in Documentation/dev-tools/ ?
> I'm leaning towards Documentation/dev-tools/test-results_format.rst

SGTM.

> > > I assume somewhere under Documentation, and put into
> > > .rst format. Suggestions for a name and location are welcome.
> > > - is this document accurate?
> > > I think KUNIT does a few things differently than this description.
> > > - is the intent to have kunit and kselftest have the same output format?
> > > if so, then these should be rationalized.
> >
> > Yeah, I think it would be nice if all test frameworks/libraries for the
> > kernel output tests in the same language.
> Agreed.

Cheers