Re: [GIT PULL] MIPS changes for v5.8-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jun 03 2020 - 17:00:26 EST

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 5:55 AM Thomas Bogendoerfer
<tsbogend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bibo Mao (4):
> mm/memory.c: Add memory read privilege on page fault handling

Hmm. That's a horribly named commit, but can you clarify why this
didn't just use the existing pte_mkyoung?

These are all paths that set the dirty bit early if it's a write, I
don't see why they wouldn't set the accessed bit too.

Even on architectures that manage the accessed bit in hardware, this
might be a (tiny) performance advantage because it avoids a page table
walker microfault to set the bit when it's accessed.

We already do the pte_mkyoung() in paths like cow_user_page(), so the
others may have been just oversights?

Or was there possibly some reason we didn't want to do it here?

Linus