Re: [GIT PULL] sh: remove sh5 support

From: Rich Felker
Date: Thu May 28 2020 - 12:14:20 EST

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 10:46:00PM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> [adding Linus]
>
> On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 07:35:52AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Any progress on this? I plan to resend the sh dma-mapping I've been
> > trying to get upstream for a year again, and they would conflict,
> > so I could look into rebasing them first.
>
> So for years now it has been close to and in the end impossible to
> provoke sh maintainer action. At the same point hardware is pretty much
> long gone for the real commercial variants, and never took off for the
> open hardware nommu variant.
>
> Linus, would you ok with a 5.8 pull request to just kill off arch/sh/?

It is in active use. Please do not act on such a request. I would be
much quicker to ack things that actually need ack if I weren't CC'd on
hundreds of random non-arch-specific changes that don't need it, but I
understand that's how the kernel process works. If there are things
that need ack please feel free to ping.

Note that I specifically acked and requested the sh5 removal.

Rich